Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Laptop Funeral

Work gave me an IBM T40 laptop because every consultant needs a flashy laptop, right? Except mine was pulled from the dregs of loaners and even to get one lowly loaner laptop I had to beg and grovel, and PROVE that my old T22 was held together by tape and prayers. So when I got upgraded from the T22 to the T40 it was a big deal. It was like trading in the hoopty for a Mercedes. And yes, clients did make fun of me for the old laptop. "Gosh, can't you get a newer laptop?" "They gave you THAT piece of junk?? Can't you get something better?"

Sure, hold on a second. I'll just click my heels together three times and make a wish. Idiots!

The T22 died twice during critical moments, so when I was upgraded to the T40, I thought it was going to be sunshine and rainbows. Then, I realized quickly that the CD drive was broken. Got that fixed. Then, the D key fell off. o you know how har it is to NOT have a " " key?? Got a brand new keyboard popped in. And now, the latest problem is the following: the left button below the touchpad gets stuck and makes a very loud clicking noise each time it is pressed. Yesterday, it got stuck, and that was REALLY fun because that's the equivalent of always having the select button pressed on the mouse.

So, I predict the following outcomes:
1. Left button falls off.
2. Left button stops working completely.
3. Left button gets stuck permanently.

I have a back-up mouse in my bag, so it's all good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home